The FSPA Honors Program was designed by Flint School of Performing Arts faculty and staff for highly motivated students in grades 9-12, giving them a guided pathway for growth as a musician. The requirements are meant to maximize a student’s experience at FSPA, and are aligned closely with similar programs at Eastman Community Music School, Westchester Conservatory, Dillar-Quaile School of Music , and other world-renowned community schools for the arts.
The curriculum is designed to allow students the flexibility to pursue their interests, while ensuring each student gains experience in key areas of musical study. These areas include:
- Technical ability and artistry on their primary instrument
- Performance experiences as a soloist and ensemble member
- Exposure to new music through regular concert attendance
- Learning and applying basic knowledge of music theory
- Opportunity for internships and exploration of areas of personal interest
You can read the full requirements here: Honors Program Requirements
Other special benefits of the Honors Program include:
- An official FSPA transcript for use in their college applications.
- Day trips to various universities to experience campus life and sit in on rehearsals and concerts. These day trips will be open to all students and parents, and are not limited to those who are planning to major in music.
- Twice yearly meetings with special presentations on topics such as career planning, college applications/auditions, and more.
You are invited to attend an informational meeting where the basic structure of the program will be discussed, and students will have an opportunity to enroll in the program. These will take place on:
- Tuesday, September 12 @ 6:00 PM (Anderson Room)
- Wednesday, September 20 @ 6:00 PM (Anderson Room)
Please RSVP by filling out the form at https://goo.gl/forms/T8ywzmPx8FE3Iuun1